[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 26 11:22:59 PST 2004

First problem, a starter made with yeast (I assume bakers yeast).  Bakers
yeast does not perform well in high acid environments.  Its potency
diminishes over time.  In this case, the high acid and lack of nourishment
may have sent it to never-never land.

To recover it, I would have done exactly as you have done adding some of the
starter to a mix of flour and water.  If this doesn't work, spike it with a
little sugar water.  If it still doesn't work, "it's dead, Jim."

If you have to start over, mix up equal quantities by weight of flour and
water and set it out on the counter.  I should start to ferment in 2 to 4
days, after which fed as normal.  Since the sourness is a function of the
lactobacilli, which are highly localized, I would expect a satisfactory
substitute for your old starter.

Bear