[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 20:38:39 PST 2004

--- margaret <m.p.decker at att.net> wrote:

> If you have to start over, mix up equal quantities by weight of flour and
> water and set it out on the counter.  I should start to ferment in 2 to 4
> days, after which fed as normal.  Since the sourness is a function of the
> lactobacilli, which are highly localized, I would expect a satisfactory
> substitute for your old starter.

The new starter has been doing well (made with Red Star yeast), but I will take your advice and
try getting a *second* batch going, with no yeast (spontaneous fermentation).  Perhaps the
yeasties who reside with me in my apartment are made of sterner stuff...

William de Grandfort

=====
She was freezer burn...... all else is only icing.