[Sca-cooks] The Perfumed Garden

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Nov 27 14:47:37 PST 2004

Was written:

> In this edition, I am specifically looking for Middle Eastern references
for
> medicinal/aphrodisiacal properties of various ingredients, which are
alleged to be in there
> somewehere.  I have not yet had the opportunity to give it more than a
quick glance.

> I have personal reason to suspect that some of these alleged aphrodisiacs
are, in fact, very
> powerful ;)

Yes if it is the book I think it is the recipes you seek may be there.  I
last read my copy of Burton's translation several years ago and recall
reading several such recipes.  Also IIRC a rather interesting cure for
impotence that involves leather and hot pitch is included.  From my
remembrance of the treatment I would not recommend even to the desperate.
Lots of odd things such as how to save yourself when confronted by a lion
unexpectedly are in it as well.  All and all a rather odd read.

Daniel