[Sca-cooks] Circles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 01:13:25 PST 2004

  WdG proposed:
> I have long had a (completely) unsubstantiated theory that the Standing
> Stones in many Neolithic
> or pre-historic sites were dragged/leveraged into place, and then
> shaped/carved over the following
> decades. Stonehenge *may* be one of the foils for this theory, but,
> like I said, it's wholly unsubstantiated.

Why not carve them to shape where you first dig them up? Then you have
less weight to haul. This is what the Egyptians did for their pyramids.
The quarries still exist and I believe there are may be pictures of the
stones being hauled.

It's easier to carve the stone while it is on the ground then after it
has been tilted vertically.

If you place the rough stone in the hole, lever it into a vertical
position and then carve it to its final shape, would you really dig a
hole around it again so you can get to it to finish the part below the
ground? If not, then it should be easy to determine whether the stones
were shaped in position or before. Simply check the rock below the
ground and compare it to the portion of the megalith above the ground.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com