[Sca-cooks] Circles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 01:02:09 PST 2004

> Yes, bigger.  Brodgar: Date to Ca. 2,700 BC; circle 370
> ft, across; rock cut ditch 30 ft wide, 10 ft deep, 80,000
> man hours to remove 12,000 tons of rock; ring of
> (originally) 60 standing stones (now only 29), most stones
> average 7 ft high, at 2 cardinal points: south 12.5 ft
> high nd west 15.25 ft high, area is over 90,000 sq ft.
Hmmm.

I'd like to see how they are coming up with these figures. I think
these are seriously underestimated.

As Vincenzo mentions, these numbers are man hours, not calender hours.
However, this breaks down to only slightly less than seven man hours
for each ton of stone moved. Just moving this amount of stone without
wheel barrows (a medieval invention) or other transport is going to
take some time. If the rock has to be cut out of other rock then more
time for that. Whether stone or metal tools, they still need to be
maintained and sharpened.

I think these numbers are short even using modern hand tools but I am
not a civil engineer.

If you have years or generations to do this you can use techniques that
decrease the actual manpower needed, such as cracking the stone and
letting water freeze in the crack to split it further apart. Such
patience is something that modern society can not tolerate. However, I
still think the man hour estimate given here is way under what is
needed especially if that was really rock they were cutting away.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com