[Sca-cooks] Aluminum

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 28 19:03:44 PST 2004

Deville's process started limited production, as would have been necessary
for aluminum plates, and it would certainly leave the price of aluminum
metal high.  The basics of the Hall-Heroult process for producing aluminum
from bauxite were seperately developed by Charles Martin Hall and Paul Louis
Toussaint Heroult and simultaneously patented by both men in 1886.  Hall's
Pittsburgh Reduction Company produced the first commercial aluminum on
Thanksgiving Day 1886.  Andrew Mellon became involved with the Pittsburgh
Reduction Co. in 1891, taking a piece of the business and financing the
expansion of the company into Alcoa.  Or so sayeth the quick ref.

Bear