[Sca-cooks] Aluminum

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 03:12:38 PST 2004

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 02:11 AM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>
>>Isn't it odd that, at one time, Aluminum was priced more preciously
>>than gold...and now we roll it
>>around our Thanksgiving Turkeys, and discard it when we are done?
>>What a differenc a few decades
>>make, eh?
>
>When did it begin to be made out of aluminium? My Grandma calls it
>'tinfoil', Mom just calls it 'foil'. Did it have something to do
>with WWII? (Mom was born in '46)

 From http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blaluminum.htm :

"Aluminum Foil
Metal foil has been around for centuries. Foil is solid metal that
has been reduced to a leaf-like thinness by beating or rolling. The
first mass-produced and widely-used foil was made from tin. Tin was
later replaced by aluminum in 1910, when the first aluminum foil
rolling plant "Dr. Lauber, Neher & Cie., Emmishofen." was opened in
Kreuzlingen, Switzerland.

The plant, owned by J.G. Neher & Sons (aluminum manufacturers)
started in 1886 in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, at the foot of the
Rhine Falls - capturing the falls' energy to produce aluminum.
Neher's sons together with Dr. Lauber discovered the endless rolling
process and the use of aluminum foil as a protective barrier. From
there began the wide use of aluminum foil in the packaging of
chocolate bars and tobacco products. Processes evolved over time to
include the use of print, color, lacquer, laminate and the embossing
of the aluminum. "

>'Lainie
>(I was careful to watch my plate on the holiday, and still gained 3
>pounds! Wah!)

That's wot you get for watching your plate!

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04