[Sca-cooks] Aluminum

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 06:28:12 PST 2004

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>Tinfoil came into use as a food protector in the late 19th Century
>(tin plated steel cans were patented in 1810).  Because it imparts a
>"tinny" flavor to food wrapped in it, it was supplanted by aluminum
>foil beginning in 1910.  Because of the relationship between the two
>products, the term tin foil is sometimes applied to aluminum foil.
>
>Bear

I'll go with the idea that the term "tinfoil" was applied to aluminum
more or less out of habit after tinfoil became supplanted on an
industrial level by aluminum.

But I assumed the issues were more cost and availability than a tinny
flavor. I confess I don't really know whether I have any actual
experience with tin cans or foil, but isn't the whole point of tin in
cookware and utensils the idea that is [nearly] inert, chemically?

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04