[Sca-cooks] 12th Night

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 06:58:24 PST 2004

This is the only way we've ever done our 12th Night.  We do look for a hall
big enough for everyone to dine together.  We also generally prepare the
main meat, and everything else is brought in.  We make suggestions about
groups that should bring certain dishes, sometimes going with "if the last
letter of your name begins with A-C, bring appetizers, D-G, bring salads,
etc.  A couple of years ago I suggested an alternate system, using
personnas - if you have a Brittish personna bring a vegetable side dish,
middle eastern personnas bring desserts, etc.  We set it up on at least two
buffet tables, however we don't have nearly the numbers it sounds like you
get for the Atlantian 12th Night, we do our local Baronial 12th Night that
gets a couple of hundred people.  Still, it is workable, and if you put
Court after Feast, people will stick around or come back.
Christianna

Mistress Cynara has proposed something that I think the cooks of
Atlantia (at least) should consider.  She proposed the idea of not
having a Twelfth Night feast...let folks bring their own festive foods
and set up their own tables for themselves.  It would take careful
planning to avoid having folks leave for dinner at a restaurant and not
return, but I think that could be done.  She proposes this because it's
getting VERY difficult to find sites that are large enough to
accommodate Twelfth Night crowds...and with a kitchen equipped to feed
such a crowd...at a somewhat reasonable price...who are willing to allow
us to use their facilities.  If we all agree to this, the "powers that
be" might be pushed into considering such an idea.  This is not a new
idea, as I understand it.  It's done in the West Kingdom all the time.
It's mostly a matter of setting expectations.

Kiri