[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 29 11:30:14 PST 2004

> > The "sour" in sourdough doesn't refer to the taste, it refers to the
> > spontaneous fermentation.  You are "souring" the starter.
>
> Please direct me to the references for this statement.  I believe there may be some misinformation
> in it.

The OED gives the following definitions for 'sour-dough':

1. a. Leaven. Now dial. and rare.
 b. fig. of qualities, etc.
c. N. Amer. Fermenting dough, esp. that left over from a previous
baking, used as leaven; bread made from this. Also attrib.

 2. Amer. An experienced prospector in Alaska, the Yukon, or the
Northwest territories.
  In allusion to the use of a piece of sour dough for raising the bread
baked during the winter.

Further references:
English Bread and Yeast Cookery, Elizabeth David.
World Sourdoughs from Antiquity, Ed Wood

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling