[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 12:00:46 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> I think the point of Bear's statement is that the purpose of a
> sourdough starter, assuming you're using it to leaven, is that it has
> airborne yeasts cultured in it, and these yeasts, in the early stages
> of the culture, have not mutated and begun to produce sour
> by-products, nor have lactobacilli had a chance to get into the
> picture, which is why your sourdough isn't sour tasting yet. However,
> it is still sourdough, and a good way to get it to taste more sour is
> to use it a time or two.

Okay. I think I've figured out the problem.  I'm wondering if this is a misuse of nomenclature?
In Britain, doughs which use a 'sourdough' starter are sometimes called 'acids' or 'acid breads',
which implies that they have tartness to them.  This further implies that the starter is commonly
used once it has become acidic (hence the name 'sour' dough).

I believe what Bear and yourself are referring to should actually be described as a Biga, or a
Chef, or (if loosely translated) a Levain.  These are traditionally made using spontaneous
fermentation, but used before they are allowed to sour (although many modern recipes call for
yeast to be added to the mixture).  So, it is possible to have a 'sourdough' starter which is not
yet sour.... but if you use it before it sours, then it is not a 'sourdough' starter...it is a
Biga, Chef, Levain or some other terminology.  It looks like a contest of nomenclature.

In short, IMHO, a sourdough starter is used for the express purpose of providing a pleasant, sour
tang to the bread (and gelatinizing the starch in 100% rye breads).  A Starter which has not been
allowed to sour is just that...a starter.

WdG

> An example along similar lines might be the fact that sauerkraut has
> had that lactic fermentation take place, whereas cabbage pickled with
> vinegar is just pickled cabbage, even though it is sour...

Oh, they helped me...

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.