[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 12:42:41 PST 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> > Please direct me to the references for this statement.  I believe there may be some
> misinformation
> > in it.
>
> The OED gives the following definitions for 'sour-dough':
>
> 1. a. Leaven. Now dial. and rare.
>  b. fig. of qualities, etc.
> c. N. Amer. Fermenting dough, esp. that left over from a previous
> baking, used as leaven; bread made from this. Also attrib.

Well, that's kind of a broad definition, isn't it?  Typical of the OED when it comes to matters of
technical specialization.  Technically speaking, that's merely a description of endogenous
fermentation, and not 'sourdough'.  This method can be used to achieve bread with a sweet, rather
than acidic quality, as well, and should not be listed as a definition for sourdough.  Sour dough
is just that...sour.  Hence the name.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.