[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 12:57:49 PST 2004

--- rtanhil <rtanhil at fast.net> wrote:

> Of course, it can be done for less. If you have access to a
> wholesale food distributor (a real one, not a warehouse
> store), you can save a fortune. If you avoid beef, lamb,
> cheese, and fish, you can save money, too. I'm talking about
> a real feast that you would want to eat, not one based
> entirely on chicken leg quarters and legumes.
>
> How low can you go?

It depends on how much money you want to make after all is said and done.  If you just want to
break even, you can go pretty low, especially if you take advantage of supermarket specials on
non-perishable or frozen items during the months prior to the event (our local Albertsons and
Ralphs supermarkets occassionally run 10-for-$10 sales on some rather unexpected items (like
ground beef, 5# bags of flour, shortening,  juices, canned beans, etc...)).  If you want to make
money on the deal, your best bet is to combine those supermarket deals with local foodservice
distributors (many of them will sell directly to non-profit orgs), make most of your goodies from
scratch, and get a ton of skilled volunteers to help, so you don't need to purchase pre-packaged
convenience foods.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.