[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 29 13:09:35 PST 2004

> Planning an economical menu is definitely important, but the real trick is
> correct portioning. I've seen way too many cooks figure that people will eat
> X amount of something when the average portion actually consumed is half of
> that. And then they end up with lots of leftovers. Not everyone eats like a
> starving fighter.

*grimly* I think that the SCA would be better served in general if we
cooks stopped treating the 'starving fighter' as a special interest
group. In fact, some fighters and most cooks would be happier if we
treated fighters like any other human being.

Yes, I've done dayboards for fighting events, and the expectations are
different. But if you plan your meal around the stereotype of the
fighter, it a) builds resentment-- 'feeding the fighters' is often an
excuse for demanding unreasonable amounts of meat, specifically beef,
and disdaining green veggies and anything spiced with something other
than capisciums-- and b) perpetuates a stereotype, and c) wastes money.

Look at your audience as a whole (are they mostly carnivores? do they
want a heavy meal or a light one?) and plan accordingly. There's no
point in assuming, for instance, that embroiderers are more likely to
eat salad and chicken than fighters!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling