[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 13:54:01 PST 2004

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> All bread doughs tend to be acid and at least a little sour in taste.  In a
> sourdough, the flavor is a function of the lactobacilli, which are
> localized.  The flavor of the bread changes as the lactobacilli change.
> Sourdoughs have a full flavor which may or may not be particularly tangy or
> sour even if you have allowed the the lactobacilli to work.

It is this last statement which I will address.  A bread which has been allowed to rise very
slowly may take on a bit of acid as a natural byproduct of the fermentation process, and is the
sign of a quality loaf. Not all breads achieve this quality, and many are fermented quickly to
avoid it.  However, if the lactobacilli are not given the time to create a noticeable acid/sour
taste, they are not sourdough breads.  Please see my reply to Jenne's textual assualt,
particularly in regard to European rye.

  My current
> sourdough has a nice flavor but isn't particularly sour tasting even though
> it is acidic.

Hmmnnn.... perhaps we are talking about the same thing, after all?  Your definition of 'acidic',
and my definition of 'sour' may be the same.  Send me a loaf, won't you?  :)

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.