[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 29 13:20:31 PST 2004

> In short, IMHO, a sourdough starter is used for the express purpose of
> providing a pleasant, sour
> tang to the bread (and gelatinizing the starch in 100% rye breads).  A
> Starter which has not been
> allowed to sour is just that...a starter.
>
> WdG

All bread doughs tend to be acid and at least a little sour in taste.  In a
sourdough, the flavor is a function of the lactobacilli, which are
localized.  The flavor of the bread changes as the lactobacilli change.
Sourdoughs have a full flavor which may or may not be particularly tangy or
sour even if you have allowed the the lactobacilli to work.  My current
sourdough has a nice flavor but isn't particularly sour tasting even though
it is acidic.

Bear