[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 15:59:07 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> I suspect you're right. On the other hand, given that Biga, Chef, and
> Levain aren't English words, and the [fact?] that sourdough (if you
> distinguish it from Biga, Chef, and Levain) is more or less a Western
> Anglo-American usage (unless I'm mistaken), I'm not so much saying
> that they get to decide what it means, as that it's useless to argue.
> In practical reality, you _can_ have sourdough that isn't especially
> sour.

This I will not dispute, with the caveat that you have to have at least a wee bit of sour in
there.  'Especially' sour, no.....'sour', yes.

> >In short, IMHO, a sourdough starter is used for the express purpose
> >of providing a pleasant, sour
> >tang to the bread (and gelatinizing the starch in 100% rye breads).
> >A Starter which has not been
> >allowed to sour is just that...a starter.
>
> <Bugs Bunny voice and accent> Ehhhhhhhh, I'm not so sure about dat,
> bub. With respect, and speaking from a purely forensic standpoint, is
> it possible you're applying European terms to an American concept and
> then blaming the American concept for not meeting expectations
> expressed in the terms?

Not sure I follow this one.  Sourdough starter is an American term, and I'm applying American
terms to it (I think).  Perhaps a bit more elaboration, if it even seems worth the effort..?

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.