[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 16:31:56 PST 2004

--- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it has definitely been my experience that not all 'sourdoughs' are
> sour.  It is just a term for the construction as opposed to yeasty breads
> where you add refined yeast.

In modern parlance, you may be right.  However, traditional sourdough is sour, hence the name.

> Is there any way to import the lactobacilli to do the work for you? Or
> a way you can "seed" your environment with a strain?

Sure there is.  You can order a good sourdough starter online, or from some bakery supply shops,
or have a friend dry out a few tablespoons of starter and send it to you.  Once you use the
starter a few times, you should have plenty of Lactobacilii in the air.  Just don't leave your
milk out overnight...

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.