[Sca-cooks] Field kitchen horror stories

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 30 03:52:48 PST 2004

>All things considered, it worked out fine. The moral of this
>story: rented equipment might not work. Make sure you have
>John of Bisby on hand (or failing that, someone with a cool
>head who knows something about taking things apart to make
>them work).

Many years ago I was part of the cooking staff at a feast for around
300. Not in charge thank goodness.  They found a beautiful site, a
big building with lots of room inside and out, and a big kitchen....

BUT.. the kitchen had been stripped, no oven, no stove, no
refrigerator.  They arranged to rent stoves and warming ovens.  The
Head cook inspected the kitchen a few weeks before the event.

On the morning of the event, they arrived to find that the kitchen
had been rewired since their inspection.  The rented stoves had the
wrong type of plug for the new wiring.

Someone managed to get one stove re-wired by noon, the other one
never did work.  I took eight pork roasts home and managed to fit
them in my oven.   They managed to cook and serve most of what they
planned, but it was.... stressful.

Ranvaig