[Sca-cooks] olives and candied carrots

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Nov 30 06:57:56 PST 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 3:11 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Hmmm. I wonder what they would think of candied carrots. :-)
> Is there a period recipe or description of such a thing? I did a fast
> check in the Florilegium for "candied carrots" but didn't get
> anything.

Does this count?

Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
"Take, around All Saints Day (November 1), large turnips, and peel them
and chop them in quarters, and then put on to cook in water: and when
they are partially cooked, take them out and put them in cold water to
make them tender, and then let them drain; and take honey and do the
same as with the walnuts, and be careful not to over-cook your turnips.

Item, on All Saints, take carrots as many as you wish, and when they
are well cleaned and chopped in pieces, cook them like the turnips.
(Carrots are red roots which are sold at the Halles in baskets, and
each basket costs one blanc.."

(there's an earlier recipe that involves soaking walnuts in water to
remove the bitterness and then in honey for many days to preserve them)

- Doc