[Sca-cooks] olives and candied carrots

Jennifer / Guenievre generys at blazemail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:46:02 PST 2004

> > Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
> > "Take, around All Saints Day (November 1), large turnips, and peel them
>
> Uh, Doc-- the part with the walnuts is PART of this recipe-- it's all
> one big layered preserve. Meant to mention that to you when I saw the
> recipe parsed that way on the medievalcookery page.

I'm a little confused as to why you say this - after reading the recipe
several times, it doesn't appear to me that it ever says to combine, or even
layer, the ingredients, just that they're all treated the same way, and the
dates are just as an indication of how mature the produce should be. Is the
combination assumed just b/c it's called compote?

Guenievre