[Sca-cooks] olives and candied carrots

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 14:31:00 PST 2004

--- Jennifer / Guenievre <generys at blazemail.com> wrote:

> > Uh, Doc-- the part with the walnuts is PART of this recipe-- it's all
> > one big layered preserve. Meant to mention that to you when I saw the
> > recipe parsed that way on the medievalcookery page.
>

> I'm a little confused as to why you say this - after reading the recipe
> several times, it doesn't appear to me that it ever says to combine, or even
> layer, the ingredients, just that they're all treated the same way, and the
> dates are just as an indication of how mature the produce should be. Is the
> combination assumed just b/c it's called compote?

At first glance, the recipe appears to be a schedule for making various fruits and nuts into
preserved fruits by a certain date, and not that they are to be combined in any way, layered or
otherwise.

William de Grandfort

> [...]
> > or a spring, and change it every day: and they must soak ten to twelve
> > days and they will become black and when you chew one you will not be
> > able to taste any bitterness; and then put them on to boil in sweet
> > water and let them boil just for the length of time it takes to say a
> > Miserere, and until you see that there are none which are too hard or
> > too soft. Then empty the water, and put them to drain on a screen, and
> > then boil a sixth of honey or as much as they need to be all covered,
> > and the honey should be strained and skimmed: and when it is cooled down
> > to just warm, add your walnuts and leave them two or three days, and
> > then put them to drain, and take as much of your honey as they can soak
> > in, and put the honey on the fire and make it come to a good boil and
> > skim it, and take it off the fire: and put in each hole in your walnuts
> > a clove in one side and a little snip of ginger in the other, and then
> > put them in the honey when it is lukewarm. And stir it two or three
> > times a day, and at the end of three days take them out: and gather up
> > the honey, and if there is not enough, add to it and boil and skim and
> > boil, then put your walnuts in it; and thus each week for a month. And
> > then leave them in an earthenware pot or a cask, and stir once a week.
> >
> > Take, around All Saints Day (November 1), large turnips, and peel them
> > and chop them in quarters, and then put on to cook in water: and when
> > they are partially cooked, take them out and put them in cold water to
> > make them tender, and then let them drain; and take honey and do the
> > same as with the walnuts, and be careful not to over-cook your turnips.
> >
> > Item, on All Saints, take carrots as many as you wish, and when they are
> > well cleaned and chopped in pieces, cook them like the turnips. (Carrots
> > are red roots which are sold at the Halles in baskets, and each basket
> > costs one blanc.)
> >
> > Item, take choke-pears and cut them in four quarters, and cook them like
> > the turnips, and do not peel them; and do with them neither more nor
> > less than with the turnips.
> >
> > Item, when gourds are in season, take those which are neither too hard
> > nor too tender, and peel them and remove the seeds and cut into
> > quarters, and do the same to them as to the turnips.
> >
> > Item, when peaches are in season, take the hardest and peel them and cut
> > them up.
> >
> > Item, around St. Andrew's Day, take roots of parsley and fennel, and
> > scrape them, and chop them into small pieces, and split the fennel and
> > remove the hard part, and do not do this to the parsley, and prepare
> > them exactly the same way as told above, neither more nor less.
> >
> > --
> > -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
> > "The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
> > The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.