[Sca-cooks] burnt top

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 20:07:08 PST 2004

--- "Lonnie D. Harvel" <ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> The idea of flaming reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. Creme
> Brule is one of my favorite deserts. I love egg custards in general.
> Below is the relevant section from one of the Florilegium files
> regarding the question of period flan and/or baked custards. Does anyone
> have anything to add to this? Was there something similar in regions
> other than Spain?
>
> Aoghann

Well, there is a medieval Middle Eastern recipe mentioned in 'A Book of Middle Eastern Food' by
Claudia Roden, which is nothing like Creme Brulee, but very tasty anyway :)  You could probably
fool yourself into thinking it is Creme Brulee, though.  It's a sugar syrup mixed with fried
semolina and butter (the original recipe used rice), and topped with cinnamon and clotted cream or
whipped cream.  If you want the recipe, let me know.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.