[Sca-cooks] florilegium confusion

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:59:31 PDT 2004

Hi,

(Stefan, you might be best placed to answer this question :))

I found this http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/recipes-msg.html
file in the florilegium. (I was looking for cabbage info) I'm a bit
confused wether the recipes here are supposed to be period or not?

I stumbled accros a recipe for Flemish stew, in wich I was offcourse
immediatly interested, since this is a dish that is still eaten, and
at first glance can easily pass for medieval food (meat, and the gravy
is thickened with bread) (it didn't have any of the pittfalls that I
had fallen in previously) appart for the fact that this recipe calls
for cornstarch wich I thought wasn't period.

(Now that I think about it, my problem with thickening sauces with
breadcrumb is prolly to dry bread, cause the meat stew never has any
problems thickening)

thx for the help
Finne