[Sca-cooks] florilegium confusion

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 1 15:31:59 PDT 2004

> I found this http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/recipes-msg.html
> file in the florilegium. (I was looking for cabbage info) I'm a bit
> confused wether the recipes here are supposed to be period or not?

The period recipes reference specific texts, such as Cury on Inglysch or
Platina.  The remainder of the recipes should be considered modern of a
period appearance (perioid) until proven otherwise.

> (Now that I think about it, my problem with thickening sauces with
> breadcrumb is prolly to dry bread, cause the meat stew never has any
> problems thickening)
>
> thx for the help
> Finne

Finely crushed dry breadcrumbs are the ticket.  I usually use some stale
(real, form the French bakery) French bread, but any decent white bread will
work, hammer it to powder in my food processor and pass it through a sieve
to seperate coarse and fine crumbs to use for different purposes.  If you
don't want to make your own, breadcrumbs from the store work fine.

Bear