[Sca-cooks] Rumpolt: Was ist einen Spensaw???

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 14:51:43 PDT 2004

Hi Serena,

While I am not trying to discourage you from
translating anything, Rumpolt is being
translated by two different people already.
Here is the website:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm

If you really want to translate a period German
cookbook, please instead try another one.  We
only have three that have been or are being
translated out of several dozen extant cookbooks.
In my humble opinion, it would be better to have
three people translating three different
cookbooks, rather than three people translating
the same cookbook.  But that is just my opinion.

Me, I have just started working on Philippine
Welser's cookbook and have two whole sentences
done!  Woohoo!

Huette

--- Barbara Benson <voxeight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I ILLed a copy of Rumpoldt and would like to
> try and parse some of it
> out. What dictionaries would the good gentles
> on this list reccomend
> for this purpose.
>
> I would assume that I would need a Medieval
> German to German one and
> then a German to English one. But I have no
> idea how to go about
> locating the best ones for this purpose.
>
> I have no experience with languages so this is
> a first for me. On my
> internet explorations it seems that there are
> various iterations of
> Medieval and Rennisance German Middle, High,
> Low, Middle High.....
> what is Rumpoldt in?
>
> Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.
>
> Glad Tidings,
> --Serena da Riva
> >
> > Can you give me some etymological info? I've
> seen one translation,
> > right or wrong, calling it a domestic sow,
> and the word "sow" seems
> > pretty implicit. Does the "Spen" part imply
> youth, or a piggy-milk
> > diet, or small? I mean, since there are other
> words I'm familiar with
> > that mean those things...
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Adamantius