[Sca-cooks] Rumpolt: Was ist einen Spensaw???

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 06:26:43 PDT 2004

> Hi Serena,
>
> While I am not trying to discourage you from
> translating anything, Rumpolt is being
> translated by two different people already.
> Here is the website:
>
> http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm
>
> If you really want to translate a period German
> cookbook, please instead try another one.

I am actually very familiar with thier work and am greatful to them
for their efforts. And it is why I desire to work on Rumpoldt. I am
working on crafting a late period German feast out of Rumpoldt and
Welserin and desire to have it as period as possible. One of the
things in Rumpoldt that I have not seen translated are the various
menus in the front of his text. I want to have a better idea about
what dishes would have been served and in what order to improve my
accuracy. Since the menus are straightforward listings of dishes
without any additional nouns, verbs or adjectives I thought it would
be a good project for myself who has never attempted to translate or
read even modern german.

An additional reason is that Rumpoldt was the only thing I was able to
get ahold of a facsimilie for. I would love to take a look at
Philippine's cookbook. I have found references to it but not a copy of
it. Where perchance did you dig one up?

> Me, I have just started working on Philippine
> Welser's cookbook and have two whole sentences
> done!  Woohoo!

I understand and appriciate your comments. If I can manage a little
maybe I will get a bit more ambitious. But little baby steps are all I
can take.

Glad Tidings,
--Serena da Riva

By the way, what dictionaries are you using??