[sca-cooks] Re: German texts

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Sun Oct 3 17:47:57 PDT 2004

Greetings,
I have - once upon a time, and I really don't remember the url - found an
redaction of a recipe from the Rheinfränkisches Kochbuch:

Gingerbread Sauce
(s. 25)
500g Gingerbread (gr: Pfefferkuchen, a stronger, sharper and not so sweet
kind of gingerbread)
2 TBS White Wine Vinegar
Honey
1/2 l Red Wine
Crumble gingerbread, bring in the wine to a boil, taste with vinegar and
honey, put through a strainer. Serve cold.
Nim eszig wyn vnd honig vnd pefferbrot vnd stoisz vnder ein ander vnd isz
dunne vnd wurcze isz vnde erwelle isz vnd gib isz kalt ab du wilt Nim sische
adir fleische adir wiltbrait gesodens adir gebradens darczu.
Take vinegar, wine and honey and pepperbread and pound together and [eat it
thin? it is thin?] and season it and boil it and give it cold, if you want.
Serve it to fish or to meat or to venison, cooked or roasted.
Rheinfränkisches Kochbuch, um 1445

I also have - being german - some redactions from german recipes that
probably never were translated into english, if someone is interested (but
my translations skills from german into english are not that good, I usually
translate the other way. The books in question are:
Ehlert, Trude: Kochbuch des Mittelalters, Düsseldorf 2000;
Fahrenkamp, H. Jürgen: Wie man eyn teutsches Mannsbild bey Kräfften hält,
Polença 1999;
Lutz, Peter: Herrenspeis und Bauernspeis, Fulda 2003.
Ehlert is very good, giving mostly the originals and the source; Fahrenkamp
doesn't, and his redaction are very modernized; Lutz is very thin.

I'll just give you an example from Ehlert:
Pea Soup
Serves 4
250g fresh peas (w/out pods!)
2 onions
40g butter
1.25 l broth
1 portion of saffron
pepper
2 dashes of macis
1 bunch of parsley
maybe 40g breadcrumbs or flour
peel onion and chop very fine. sautee in butter, add peas. If you want a
clear soup, add the broth, season with pepper, saffron and macis, cook for
20 min on not too high flame. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley. If you
want the soup to thicken, add the breadcrumbs or the flour just befor
pouring the broth over.
you can also purree a part of the peas after 15 min.
you can alo take dry peas, green or yellow: soak them overnight and take
that water for the broth and cook for 45 min
cclvj. Lauter Erbes suppen. Clear Pea Soup.
Lauter Erbes suppen/ seüd die Erbes/ nimb nur die lautern brue/ hack ein
zwiffel gar klein darein/ gilbs/ stüpps/ thuo ein wenig schmaltz darein/
Muscatblue/ baewt Semel/ aber den Kindbetterin nimpt man nicht zwiffel/
sondern ein schmaltz darein versotten/ aber so mans dick macht/ so schlecht
mans ein wenig durch die Erbes/ roest ein wenig zwiffel darein/ der
geschnitten ist/ gilbs/ stüpps/ man mags zimblich rueren/ ob man will/
seichs.
Cook the peas, take only the clear broth, chop into that an onion very
small, colour in yellow, season it, add some lard, macis, roasted roll. But
for women in childbed do not take onions, but cook some lard in it. If you
want the soup to thicken, strain a part of the peas through a strainer, fry
a little onions therein, that has been chopped, coulour it yellow, season
it, you may stir it well, if aou want, and strain it.
Kochbuch des Balthasar Staindl von Dillingen, 1544, aus: Ehlert, Kochbuch

hoping to be of service,
kai

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee

+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl