[Sca-cooks] diabetes and beets?

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 19:22:01 PDT 2004

Yeah, it depends on each individual person's response to them.

My sister can eat beets or corn sensibly, in a normal portion, with a
full meal, and
there will be no impact because the other foods in concert slow down
the processing
and absorbtion of the sugars.  My sister also exercises regularly,
which makes your
body process sugars in a much better manner.

My mother tends to eat them by themselves, and it causes massive panic attacks
and phone calls to me telling me that she is dieing when her sugar
spikes. My mother
can also spike from starches if she eats them first in a regular meal.

All the numbers and jargon from my previous e-mail are just
guidelines.  It just lists
the potential the foods have in your system.  "Your mileage may vary" is a good
caveat in this area.

My personal system is hyper efficient with starches and I digest them
quickly, so I have
to be careful with any root veggies.  My sugar doesn't spike much, I
just know by how I feel after I eat them that they are not good for
me.

Cadoc