[Sca-cooks] "A minced pie" from Gervase Markham

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Oct 6 06:05:48 PDT 2004

Hullo, the list!

Somebody asked for period mincemeat recipes; it's taken me this long
to lay hands on Markham's "The English House-Wife", but I've used
this recipe with some success. It's argued that its publication date
is post-period (1615), and it is, but Markham spent the last years of
his life being prosecuted for plagiarizing his own work (at a time
when publishers essentially bought a book from the author, leaving
them no further rights). It's extremely likely, although not proven
or certain, that this dish, or something functionally identical to
it, was cooked prior to December 31st, 1600. From that, take such
consolation as you're inclined to ;-).

"A minced pie.

Take a leg of mutton, and cut the best of the flesh from the bone,
and parboil it well: then put to it three pound of the best mutton
suet, and shred it very small: then spread it abroad, and season it
with pepper and salt, cloves and mace: then put in good store of
currants, great raisins, and prunes clean washed and picked, a few
dates sliced, and some orange peels sliced, then, being all well
mixed together, put it into a coffin, or into divers coffins, and so
bake them: and when they are served up open the lids, and strew store
of sugar on top of the meat, and upon the lid. And in this sort you
may also bake beef or veal: only the beef would not be parboiled, and
the veal will ask a double quantity of suet."

		--Gervase Markham, "The English Housewife", Michael
R. Best edition

I've always thought of this as kind of a sausage meat, with somewhere
between 10 and 30 percent fat in total weight, and the fruit
substituting for some of the lean muscle meat. 30 percent fat
actually turns out to be too high, and the resulting grease is pretty
unattractive and, in this era of central heating, both unnecessary
and dangerous for most people.

I've done this recipe with three pounds of beef suet, shredded with
about six pounds of lean meat (I used beef chuck -- actually, both
the meat and the fat were coarsely "chili" ground), and an amount of
fruit about equal to the total meat and fat. I'd have to find out how
much meat to expect from a leg of mutton to get the actual fat
percentage, or at least something close to it.

HTH,

Adamantius
--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04