[Sca-cooks] Re: real bacon (now custard)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 06:25:30 PDT 2004

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:01:55 -0400
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
	<adamantius.magister at verizon.net>

As I say, this exact substance (except made with milk/cream, eggs,
sugar, and vanilla) is called creme anglaise. We'd call it custard
sauce. Interestingly enough, the best ice creams (regardless of what
hacks like the Haagen-Dazs people will tell you) are made by freezing
a cream-based custard. "Frozen Custard" is an ice-cream-type
dessert/substitute made with milk as the custard basis, and lacking
the requisite cream or butterfat required by gummint regulations to
be called Ice Cream. But technically, the best ice creams in the
world are actually frozen custard made from cream. You can eat about
a tablespoon of the stuff and you just die. Die happy, but die.

----This past weekend while I was in Bethesda, I found the hotel I was staying in had an Italian cafe with gelato. Hazelnut gelato, mmmmmmmm. Hadn't had real gelato since I was in Italy years ago ...

Gianotta