[Sca-cooks] Rose Hips

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 00:56:42 PDT 2004

Well, usually i've used dried rose hips for tea, either by themselves
or mixed with dried lemon grass, dried orange peel, and dried mint. I
suppose there could be other uses...

But fresh rose hips make FABULOUS jam.

I don't generally buy jam or preserves or jelly because they're too
sweet, and i don't eat toast. Heck, almost the only time i buy bread
is when i'm feast cooking. But i bought some rose hip jam (a German
product, IIRC), and, well, i just eat it with a spoon.

The other sweet preserves i buy is Persian spoon fruit. My favorite
is made with carrots and besides sugar includes orange peel, lemon
juice and rosewater - occasionally thin slices of almonds. I eat that
with a spoon along with yogurt or lebneh, although the traditional
way was a small dish eaten with a spoon served with plenty of nice
hot tea to a guest.

Anahita
longing for rose hip jam...