[Sca-cooks] Fabrication?

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 8 11:57:00 PDT 2004

My teaching adventures continue, and today I met my two new classes that I
am taking over from a lady who has been their teacher, but has taken a
full-time cooking job with the Kroger Cooking School.  She was doing a lab
with them on basic knife cuts, using onion, celery and carrot and then
demonstrating how to cut up a chicken.  She has taught them that this
process is called "fabrication", to fabricate meaning to break something
down to its component parts, de-boning may or may not be a part of this
process.  Ok, I've been through a culinary apprenticeship and cooked for
quite a while, and I've read one or two books on the subject, but don't
think I've ever run across this usage of this term.  Is this a culinary
school thing?  Is it a well-used classical cuisine term I've somehow missed
all these years?  Or is it something some textbook author came up with, and
is now being passed along?
Thought this was the crowd to ask :)
Christianna