[Sca-cooks] Fabrication?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 8 12:15:29 PDT 2004

>demonstrating how to cut up a chicken.  She has taught them that this
>process is called "fabrication", to fabricate meaning to break something
>down to its component parts, de-boning may or may not be a part of this
>process.  Ok, I've been through a culinary apprenticeship and cooked for
>quite a while, and I've read one or two books on the subject, but don't
>think I've ever run across this usage of this term.  Is this a culinary
>school thing?  Is it a well-used classical cuisine term I've somehow missed
>all these years?  Or is it something some textbook author came up with, and
>is now being passed along?

I've never heard the word used to mean to take something apart, only to
change or put together.  Dictionary definitions and etymologies lead to
"fabric" and "forge," both related to a root "fabrica," meaning the place
an artisan works.  It sounds like she's got the word turned around in her mind.

Sandra