[Sca-cooks] Fabrication?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Oct 8 12:32:46 PDT 2004

Also sprach <kingstaste at mindspring.com>:
>My teaching adventures continue, and today I met my two new classes that I
>am taking over from a lady who has been their teacher, but has taken a
>full-time cooking job with the Kroger Cooking School.  She was doing a lab
>with them on basic knife cuts, using onion, celery and carrot and then
>demonstrating how to cut up a chicken.  She has taught them that this
>process is called "fabrication", to fabricate meaning to break something
>down to its component parts, de-boning may or may not be a part of this
>process.  Ok, I've been through a culinary apprenticeship and cooked for
>quite a while, and I've read one or two books on the subject, but don't
>think I've ever run across this usage of this term.  Is this a culinary
>school thing?  Is it a well-used classical cuisine term I've somehow missed
>all these years?  Or is it something some textbook author came up with, and
>is now being passed along?
>Thought this was the crowd to ask :)
>Christianna

Back wheah ah come from... Humph harumph, excuse me... Where I come
from this is known as basic prep, short for preparation, and when the
cuts are taught in school, it's called "Knife Skills". I imagine the
rationale is that what's being taught in one shot is a combination of
basic prep (the different ways to dismember a chicken, peeling and
preprep of large items like bermuda onions) and knife skills (the
different vegetable cuts): they may simply have felt the need for a
new name.

Adamantius

--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04