[Sca-cooks] The size of Rissoles

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 08:07:44 PDT 2004

Margaret asked:
> sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology
again, but I had difficulty
> with this thread at first, not realising that a
'rissole' might be
> something in pastry.

Hmmm, actually, Margaret, I am confused, too.  Are we  talking about a Medieval Rissole?
I've found a couple of recipes for examples:
>From "Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book" translated by Flowers and Rosenbaum"
(for brevity, I won't type in the original Latin)
Book II, I, 5
Rissoles, Another Method.
Put in a mortar pepper, lovage, and origan:  pound: moisten with liquamen, add cooked brains, pound thoroughly to dissolve lumps. Add five eggs, and beat well to work all into a smooth paste.  Blend with liquamen, place in a metal pan, and cook.  When it is cooked, turn out on a clean board and dice.  Put in the mortar pepper, lovage, origan; pound, mix together:  Pour in liquamen and wine, put in a saucepan and bring to the boil.  When boiling crumble in pastry to thicken, stir vigorously, and pour in the serving-dish over the diced rissoles: sprinkle with pepper and serve.

Which says nothing about a wrapper  Apicius has many recipes for rissoles, and none of them mention a wrapper.

and from Curye on Inglish,
190. Rysshews of fruyt. Take fyges and raisouns; pyke hem and waisshe hem in wyne. Grynde hem wiþ apples and peeres ypared and ypiked clene. Do þerto gode powdours and hole spices; make balles þerof, frye in oile, and serue hem forth.

Rissoles of fruit.  Take mushrooms, and raisins: pick them, and wash them in wine.  Grind them with apples and pears, pared and picked clean.  Do thereto good powders and whole spices, make balls thereof, fry in oil, and serve them forth.

Again, no mention of a wrapper.

This wrapped rissole may be a modern dish, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
www.mordonnasplace.com