[Sca-cooks] The size of Rissoles

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Wed Oct 13 08:24:30 PDT 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Pat wrote:

> Hmmm, actually, Margaret, I am confused, too.  Are we  talking about a
> Medieval Rissole?
> I've found a couple of recipes for examples:
>>
>> From "Apicius, The Roman Cookery Book" translated by Flowers and
>> Rosenbaum"
> Book II, I, 5
> Rissoles, Another Method.
> [...snip...]
> Which says nothing about a wrapper  Apicius has many recipes for
> rissoles, and none of them mention a wrapper.
>
> and from Curye on Inglish,
> 190. Rysshews of fruyt. Take fyges and raisouns; pyke hem and waisshe
> hem in wyne. Grynde [...snip...]
> Again, no mention of a wrapper.
>
> This wrapped rissole may be a modern dish, but I am unfamiliar with it.

How about this one?

Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
RISSOLES ON A MEAT DAY are seasonable from St. Remy's Day (October 1).
Take a pork thigh, and remove all the fat so that none is left, then
put the lean meat in a pot with plenty of salt: and when it is almost
cooked, take it out and have hard-cooked eggs, and chop the whites and
yolks, and elsewhere chop up your meat very small, then mix eggs and
meat together, and sprinkle powdered spices on it, then put in pastry
and fry in its own grease. And note that this is a proper stuffing for
pig; and any time the cooks shop at the butcher's for pig-stuffing :
but always, when stuffing pigs, it is good to add old good cheese.

- Doc