[Sca-cooks] Camp Kitchen Tips Needed

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 18:43:45 PDT 2004

Hello the list,

I have been away from this list for several years, due to mundane obligations, but now that I own
my own catering company, I have been back in the SCA full time for about a year.  I look forward
to joining many of the discussions on this list in the future.

Anyway, that having been said...

I have been cooking for The Fray (Caidan Heavy Shield Wall unit) for several years.  My business
partner just took over as the 'Hammer of the Hearth' (official camp cook) and I have been sort of
helping him get a handle on things.

What I need, however, are the best possible tips for setting up a functional camp kitchen, capable
of feeding between 30 and 70 people, 3 meals per day, for up to a week.  What has worked, what
hasn't?  Shortcuts and 'No-Nos'??  Tips for setting up a dish-washing station, etc.  Collapsable
or highly portable equipment tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has the goods on the best 'camp oven', either commercial or make-shift, I'd love
to hear about it.  We are currently limited to grilled and sauteed/stewed items.  Of course, we do
have a trailer mounted Grill (compliments of our catering company) so we can do up the BBQ for
about 400 people.  That's not a problem.  What we want are fresh baked breads and pastries for our
brave fighters, and fresh roasted meats for my belly.  I am pushing more and more for period
foods, but we'll need to get a bit more organized first :)

So, any tips you experienced camp cooks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone is going to be at Estrella this year, you're welcome to use some of our grill
space :)  We've got about 8' by 4' to spare....

Chris
William de Grandfort
Shire of Wintermist
Caid

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.