[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

James thebard3 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 18 09:02:02 PDT 2004

I’m writing this because I need to replace a few of my worn out knives.
Have a few handles that have come loose and a few knifes where the tang
wasn’t thick enough. My main deal is that I don’t care for knives that
are stainless, and can’t afford the high carbon stainless. I was
thinking of just getting a small set of the Old Hickory knives but can’t
seem to find any in my area. Seems that most people have a low opinion
of them I guess. And while I could just get them through mail order I
simply get tired of always doing that.

So anyone else know of a brand of kinves that are well made without all
the bells-n-whistles? All I’m looking for is a few good, plain jane
carbon steel knives that will do what I want and not cost me an arm and
a leg.

And as far as the other knife discussion going on. NEVER put a knife
through the dishwasher unless it’s made to take the heat! You’ll take
all of the temper out of the blade. And all carbon steel blades will
darken over time, it’s just the nature of the metal. But this will not
effect anything but looks. Trust me, I know a few chefs who have French
made knives that are quite old. They’re grey and “stained” but you’d
have to shoot the chef and pry those knives out of their cold hands to
get them.

Take It Easy,
James P.