[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 09:42:07 PDT 2004

--- James <thebard3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> So anyone else know of a brand of kinves that are well made without all
> the bells-n-whistles? All I’m looking for is a few good, plain jane
> carbon steel knives that will do what I want and not cost me an arm and
> a leg.

Believe it or not, Farberware makes a decent commercial quality knife set for the home cook, which
is affordable, takes an edge moderately well, keeps it for many uses, and can take a little rough
handling.  You won't get these knives razor sharp without some serious effort, but they will slice
a tomato well enough, and the Chef's knife can hack through chicken and pork bones.

Another brand which I have had success with in my early career is Wusthoff-Trident.  Trident
knives are well made, good quality blades which won't break the bank.  Dick knives (that's the
name brand, not the intended use) are also admirably constructed.

However, for my money, it's hard to beat a Henkle.  I purchased a 10" Chefs knife when I first
started working in restaurants over 16 years ago...and I still use it today.  Admittedly, the
blade now has a bit of a convex to it, through years and years of sharpening and honing, but it
still takes an edge cleanly, keeps it for a good long time, and is tough as nails.

My advise to the non-professional who wants a good set of knives which will not send them to the
poor house, is to purchase the best they can easily afford.  You want a good quality carbon steel
if you can get it (stainless will do in a pinch, but is much harder than traditional carbon, and
so harder to sharpen/keep sharp), you want a forged (not stamped) knife, with a full tang (metal
going from the blade, all the way through the handle), riveted handle (which can be repaired if
the rivets ever get loose), and a good, hefty weight.  For the money, Chicago Cutlery is a decent
purchase for the casual cook.  Or check out Slitzer.... they often have incredible deals on full
sets of knives, and though they are not the highest quality, they will last a good long time, and
they are so cheap that you can toss one out without feeling like you're passing a kidney stone.

I think the buzz phrase should remain 'buy the best you can afford'.  A good set of knives,
treated properly,  will reward you with years of utility, and make your kitchen chores much more
enjoyable.  Yesterday, as a matter of fact, my company did a catering job in which we served a
whole roast Tenderloin of Beef.  I used my partners japanese 'vegetable knife' to slice the meat,
and it was so sharp (and the meat so tender) that I merely had to hold the knife between my thumb
and forefinger, give it a bit of a back and forth motion, and the weight of the blade did the
rest.  I was giggling like a school girl.  I am now looking to purchase a knife just like that one
:)

William de Grandfort

> And as far as the other knife discussion going on. NEVER put a knife
> through the dishwasher unless it’s made to take the heat! You’ll take
> all of the temper out of the blade. And all carbon steel blades will
> darken over time, it’s just the nature of the metal. But this will not
> effect anything but looks. Trust me, I know a few chefs who have French
> made knives that are quite old. They’re grey and “stained” but you’d
> have to shoot the chef and pry those knives out of their cold hands to
> get them.
>
> Take It Easy,
> James P.

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.