[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks) onion soup...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 1 23:17:31 PDT 2004

Lady Elizabeth Dabernoune explained:
> I would like to use bread bowls for service. I was thinking of your
> standard French onion but I am open for suggestions.
Hmmm. I have my hesitations about serving an onion soup in a bread
bowl. Most onions soups are fairly thin and you said you, and
presumably your staff, haven't done a large feast before. I think you
have a relatively short time before a thin soup makes a soggy mess out
of a bread bowl or starts leaking through. If this is your first large
feast, you may not have all the details down so well that the bowls
with the soup, don't sit too long waiting to go out.

You might be able to solve this by putting the soup on a cart or carts,
bring along the bread bowls and fill these at the table as you serve
them.

However, I would recommend substituting a thick soup or stew instead.
Here is a Florilegium file with some recipes:
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stews-bruets-msg.html

Many of these do include onions if you are specifically looking for a
dish with that ingredient.

> Period would be nice but my priorities are presentation and something
> people will really eat. Us
> Ansteorrians are hungry people.
Ansteorrans will eat period foods. Ask Gunthar. :-)

We have recently discussed a few things about presentation. If you will
tell us some of what else you are thinking of serving and what the
event site will be like, perhaps the folks on this list can give you
some other ideas about presentation. If you are looking for sotelties
or illusion foods, I can also point you to several files about them.
:-)

For which event is this going to be for? Perhaps my lady wife and I
will make the voyage up to Elfsea. I don't know if you will have need
for a walk-in cook, but if you are interested in a beginning one
perhaps I can help out.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas