[Sca-cooks] Serving Soups

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 2 23:26:20 PDT 2004

Marina mentioned:
> The Canton of Caldrithig (Ealdormere) purchased a number of small
> white soup
> tureens with lids and ladles a few years ago.  I really have no idea
> if the
> tureens are period but they do the trick of keeping the soup hot and
> all
> tables getting served pretty much at the same time.
Okay, time for a "Stefan" question. :-) Actually a set of them.

What do you mean by a "tureen"? Is this just a big pot? Or a particular
shaped pot? Perhaps taller than wide? How big are these ones that you
are using? Why are these better than simply a large soup or stock pot?

Does having a lid actually help keep the soup hot? Or does it just end
up being something that has to be continually opened?

Are your tureens insulated? Or is it just the mass of the soup which
helps keep the soup hot?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------