[Sca-cooks] Russian Recipes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Oct 3 04:37:05 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/2/2004 11:55:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
BeckysQuilt at aol.com writes:

<<By the time oral histories have
been written, how much has been lost or changed? How old are they? Could
recipes
that were finally written in the 1700s actually be old favorites from our SCA
specified time period?>>

The problem is that there is rarely a way to determine the answer to those
questions accurately.  One way is to look at ingredients; anything that uses new
world ingredients such as chocolate, vanilla, capsicum peppers, potatos, etc
has either changed significantly from any similar recipe in our period or was
invented after our period.  Combinations of ingredients can help as well; for
instance, more modern recipes rarely if ever use sweet spices such as cinnamon
or ginger with meat, while period recipes frequently do.  Therefore a meat
recipe is more likely to be modern if it only uses savory spices, and more
likely to be period if it uses sweet ones.
Yet, there are "old favorite" recipes even today which clearly have
antecedents in our period, because we have surviving recipes from our period for foods
which are very similar if not identical - examples include macaroni and
cheese, funnel cakes, and even fried cheese sticks.
In short, the only way to tell for sure if the recipe transmitted via oral
history really represents something made in the SCA period is to find an
existing SCA period recipe for a food that is identical or close to identical.
Otherwise, it is only an educated guess at most.

Brangwayna