[Sca-cooks] frozen dolmas

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 14:07:24 PDT 2004

>Thanks!  I hadn't thought of serving them warm, just thoroughly
>defrosted.  Although I have used long grained rice, my preference is
>for medium grained rice, as I cannot seem to find short grained
>among my usual haunts.  It is gooyer by nature, and I tend to cheat.
>Cook the rice, make the filling, stuff the leaves, sprinkle with
>lemon water & bake 15 minutes at 350 (or nuke 2 minutes with less
>water for just a few in a hurry).  I had too much trouble with
>exploding dolmas on the stove....

Instead of cooking the rice, pour boiling water over it and let it
soak for 20 mins or so, then drain and use in your dolma.  The rice
will swell, but not over cook when you cook the dolma.

Frozen dolma wont be quite as good as fresh, but still fine.  I've
frozen fresh grape leaves, it wont hurt them.

Ranvaig