[Sca-cooks] Rumpoldt Mushroom Recipe - Redaction

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 4 23:03:09 PDT 2004

Serena commented:
> Tonight I began the process of picking dishes for my next feast. For
> my first redaction I chose one of the 23 Mushroom rcipes that Anahita
> was so kind to translate for us and post.
For those who are recent arrivals to this list, these recipes can be
found in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Anahita.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/23-Ger-Mushrm-art.html

> I am at a loss as to what a Peltz mushroom is. And I have been able to
> find very little information on the origins of mushrooms as far as
> what was common in which country - I am guessing I justdo not know
> where to look.
Similar questions have come up before about mushrooms. There is a small
bit of this kind of info in this file, but since many mushroom names
are likely to be a local or regional thing, we may never know most of
them. I don't know for instance, whether anyone has identified the ones
in the Goodman of Paris, which talks about mushrooms one day old and
red inside, or something like that. At that recipe is much better
known.
mushrooms-msg    (129K) 12/13/01    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/mushrooms-msg.html

> Serena'sInterpretation
> 2 oz re-hydrated mushrooms Dried Mushrooms
> 4 oz Chopped White Onion
> Olive Oil
> 2 oz  AP Flour
> 2 oz Butter
> 4 C Vegetable Stock
> ½ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
> 15 threads Saffron
> 1 oz fresh Ginger (weighed whole and grated into pot)
> ½ C Mushrom Soaking liquid
> 1 1 /2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
Argh. Microsoft strikes again. Although it seems to read better copied
into this email message than it did in Word.
Just in case others are having this problem, I *think* that is supposed
to be "1/2 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper" and "1/2 C Mushroom Soaking
liquid".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas