[Sca-cooks] Rumpoldt Mushroom Recipe - Redaction

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 4 21:25:51 PDT 2004

Also sprach Barbara Benson:
>Greetings,
>
>Tonight I began the process of picking dishes for my next feast. For
>my first redaction I chose one of the 23 Mushroom recipes that Anahita
>was so kind to translate for us and post.
>
>I am at a loss as to what a Peltz mushroom is. And I have been able to
>find very little information on the origins of mushrooms as far as
>what was common in which country - I am guessing I just do not know
>where to look. I decided that the deciding factors on what mushroom I
>would use (since this is for a feast) will be availability and cost. I
>went to several local farmers markets and decided on dried Porcinis
>and dried Black Trumpets (which I have determined are black versions
>of the chantarelle I think) for an initial try. I made two batches
>tonight and they are cooling on the stove right now. I am going to put
>some in the 'fridge and some into the freezer and see what happens.

Modernly, Steinpiltz is a common German name for the cep or porcini
mushroom (boletus edulis), characterized by tubes under the cap
instead of radial gills. I suspect that's what he's talking about.

As for vinegar, I wonder if perhaps people are sort of shaped in
their expectations by vinaigrette proportions of three-to-one,
pickles, that sort of thing. You might tone it down somewhat, but
also consider either a white wine vinegar or malt
vinegar/alegar/essig, which are a little neutral in flavor compared
to cider vinegar.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04