[Sca-cooks] Rumpoldt Mushroom Recipe - Redaction

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 20:51:26 PDT 2004

Greetings,

Tonight I began the process of picking dishes for my next feast. For
my first redaction I chose one of the 23 Mushroom recipes that Anahita
was so kind to translate for us and post.

I am at a loss as to what a Peltz mushroom is. And I have been able to
find very little information on the origins of mushrooms as far as
what was common in which country - I am guessing I just do not know
where to look. I decided that the deciding factors on what mushroom I
would use (since this is for a feast) will be availability and cost. I
went to several local farmers markets and decided on dried Porcinis
and dried Black Trumpets (which I have determined are black versions
of the chantarelle I think) for an initial try. I made two batches
tonight and they are cooling on the stove right now. I am going to put
some in the 'fridge and some into the freezer and see what happens.

Rumpoldt
<<R153a>>
164. Nim{b} düerre Peltzschwammen/ lass sie vber Nacht in Wasser
weichen/ vnnd wenn du es wilt zusetzen/so thu geschweisste Zwibeln
darein/ mit eyngebrenntem Mehl/ geuss Erbessbrüeh oder Wasser
darüeber/ vnd lass ein stundt oder zwo fein gemach damit sieden/
wüertz es ab mit Pfeffer/ Saffran vnd Jngwer/ machs saur/ dass mans
kan essen/ vnd schaw versaltz es nicht/ so ist es gut vnnd
wolgeschmack.
Denn in Böehmen ist es ein gemein essen von diesen Schwam{m}en. Vnd
man kan sie auch wol hacken wie ein Lungenmuss/ vnd man kans auch
zurichten mit Eyern vnnd Essig/ ist es gut vnnd wolgeschmack.

164. Take dried Peltz mushrooms/ leave them over Night in Water to
soak/and when You wish, set them on (the fire to cook them) then put
briefly fried (chopped) onions therein/ with toasted meal (i.e.,
flour)/
[Giano commented: "flour and butter, browned, for thickening the soup.
Rumpoldt is one of the first writers in German to list this
technique."] pour Pea broth or Water thereover/and leave one hour or
two to seethe nicely and gently (i.e, simmer)  therewith/ spice it up
with Pepper/ Saffron and Ginger/make sour (i.e., add vinegar)/ that
one can eat/ and see it is not over-salted/thus it is good and
well-tasting.
Then in Bohemia it is common to eat these Mushrooms. And one can also
chop them well such as for a Lung pudding/ and one can also prepare
with Eggs and Vinegar/ it is good and well-tasting.
[Giano commented that "this seems to be a soup recipe, but the thick
kind of soup we are used to today."]

Serena's Interpretation
2 oz re-hydrated mushrooms Dried Mushrooms
4 oz Chopped White Onion
Olive Oil
2 oz  AP Flour
2 oz Butter
4 C Vegetable Stock
½ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
15 threads Saffron
1 oz fresh Ginger (weighed whole and grated into pot)
½ C Mushroom Soaking liquid
1 1 /2 T Apple Cider Vinegar

First, the dried mushrooms; I did this with both Porcini and Black
Trumpet Mushrooms. I started out with 1 oz of each, chopped them
coarsely and placed them into separate reseal able container and
poured 2 C hot water on them and left them out overnight. They started
at 11:00 pm and I removed them from the water about 8:00 pm the next
day. I strained them out, reserving the water and measured them. 1 oz
dried Black Trumpet yielded 3 5/8 oz re-hydrated; 1 oz dried Porcini
yielded 4 ¼ oz re-hydrated.

Put 4 cups of hot water on to heat and make vegetable bullion, let it
come to a bare boil and then turn off and allow to cool on stove.
While stock is heating sauté onions with olive oil over medium high
heat until they soften and brown a bit. Set onions aside.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt 2 oz of butter until it bubbles
slightly. Sprinkle in flour a bit at a time whisking madly.
Incorporate all flour into butter over medium heat and whisk like mad.
Bring your roux to a nice golden/caramel brown color. Remove from heat
and allow to cool a bit. When both broth and roux are about the same
temp return roux to a low heat and add the stock slowly – whisking
well to incorporate.

Add mushrooms, onions and reserved mushroom soaking liquid to the base
and continue to whisk. Bring soup to boil and whisk occasionally,
making sure to scrape the bottom. Allow to boil briskly for a couple
of minutes then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 1 hour
stirring occasionally.

After about 20 minutes add pepper, saffron and ginger. When you have
about 15 minutes left, add the vinegar.

They tasted differently, I think that the vinegar is a bit much for
the Porcini's and if I go with them I will back off a bit. The pepper
was more prominent in the Black Trumpet for some reason. The Porcini
is a bit mellower in flavor and both I and my husband prefer the Black
Trumpet.

Any comments or suggestions that anyone has would be most welcome.
Questions I will answer to the best of my ability.

Glad Tidings,
--Serena da Riva