[Sca-cooks] Re: Rumpoldt Mushroom Recipe - Redaction

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 10:28:42 PDT 2004

Thanks for the elucidation on Pelz. When i translated the recipes i
ran them by three other SCAdians who know German better than i do.
One was actually a German :-) That's Giano, who has translated
several cookbooks from Medieval German into English, and he's the
only one who looked over all twenty three. He used to be on this
list, but i think perhaps he isn't at this time.

None of the three had suggestions for the specific mushrooms
mentioned in any of the recipes beyond the very frequently mentioned
morels, so for the most part i left the German names in the recipes,
although in a few cases i made a literal translation of the name.

I'd love to be able to suggest appropriate mushrooms in the recipes,
rather than just leaving the German.

Given the modern popularity of the Chanterelle in Germany - the
pfifferling - i wonder if any of the mystery names is an old word for
chanterelles?

----- Medieval-Renaissance German Mushroom names ----

-- Marx Rumpolt, Ein Neu Kochbuch, 1581

Keiserling - Gwen Cat suggested translating this as Emperor
mushrooms. Giano said "I've found no references in my modern German
cookbooks to 'Kaiserling'. "

OK, i feel silly - i just googled "Kaiserling" and found it on some
German sites. It's Amanita caesarea. Here are some photographs:
http://www.wien.gv.at/ma59/pilze/kaiser.htm
http://www.pilzepilze.de/piga/zeige.htm?name=amanita_caesarea
http://www.micologia.net/todofotos/ampliacion/Amanita%20caesarea.htm
Apparently it can be confused with the highly poisonous Amanita
muscaria (fly agaric)
One web dictionary says: ...widely distributed edible mushroom
resembling the fly agaric. Synonyms: Caesar's agaric, royal agaric. I
also found it called "Caesar's mushroom". I also found some
traditional Mexican and Italian recipes. It also has a multitude of
common names in Spanish - i didn't save the link, since there were no
photos, but if someone wants it, search for "amanita caesarea"

Maurachen - Morels (this is pretty certain)

Peltzschwammen - I translated as Peltz mushrooms. Now i guess i
should change to cepes or porcinis

Redling Schwammen - I translated as Redling mushrooms. What are they?

Weiss bitter Schwam{m}en - I translated as white bitter mushrooms,
but i'm not sure which they are.

Weiss Schwammen - I translated as white mushrooms - are these the
same as "white bitter mushrooms", are they our standard little white
buttons, or are they some other kind of white mushroom?

Stockschwammen - I translated as stock mushrooms. These appear to be
dried mushrooms. I'm imagining something big, flat, and dark like a
type of Chinese mushrooms. Giano said, "I'm wondering whether
'Stockschwamm' refers to a kind of mushroom that grows on trees?" Any
other suggestions?

--- Rheinfra:nkisches Kochbuch, c. 1445

morach - Morel, again

--- Kochbuch aus dem Wiener Dorotheenkloster, Cod. vind. 2897 (15. Jh.)
--- Cookbook from the Viennese DorothyCloister (15th c.)

raysling - I left this as raysling
ro:tling - I translated as Redling. All i can find Googling "rotling"
is a type of Rose' wine.

--- Ein Buch von guter Speise (c. 1350)

morchen - Morels (this is pretty certain). Giano pointed out a recipe
in the 15th century Mondseer Kochbuch (Cod. vind. 4995) where the
German is written "mauroch" which was virtually identical to a recipe
in "guter speise"

--- Kochbuch der Handschrift, UB Basel (looks like i don't have the
date for this one)

morchen - Morels, again

Note: Cod. vind. means "Codex Vindobensis". A codex is a book made of
a series of pages bound in a cover, much like modern books (yes, this
is an over-simplification). Vindobonensis means it is in the Austrian
National Library in Vienna (Osterreichische Nationalbibliothek,
Vienna).

I posted my translations to this list, they're in the Florilegium,
and on my website (i think my site's version is an update on the
Florilegium version, but i'm not sure), but no one ever responded
before about mushroom types. So if anyone has any more ideas i'd sure
appreciate them...

Anahita