[Sca-cooks] Real bacon

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Oct 5 19:31:11 PDT 2004

You mean, like a custard sauce? I don't think we do it that often with pies.
If anything, I'd thing the US equivalent would be whipped cream, or
<<shudder>> that fake, non-dairy frozen cr at p.  Those you see pretty
often, either as a side garnish (i.e., add your own), or as a topping
covering the entire pie.  Or ice cream.  That, too, especially with warm
fruit pies.
Oddly enough, though, I'm making a big old pan of apple crumble tonight
for a potluck tomorrow, and I'm using a recipe from a recent newspaper
article.  It will be served with a vanilla custard sauce (2 c. light
cream, 6! egg yolks, some vanilla, and not too much sugar, IIRC).
I'd imagine the bacon thing varies regionally, like hams.  Some are
sugar-cured (that's the kind I'm most familiar with), but I understand
that other parts of the US do salt-cured hams.  At least, folks on the
list have mentioned them (not something I've actually ever had, I think...)
--maire, culinarily deprived westerner (small w...I actually live in NW
Artemisia)