[Sca-cooks] period mincemeat...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 19:28:39 PDT 2004

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> anyone have a recipe?  preferably without citron (personal dislike,
> YMMV).
>
> i do an erzats modern one with beef, suet, raisins, fresh anddried
> apples, sweet spices, honey, red wine, orange peel and some whisky.
> might this be close?
>
> cailte

I seem to recall searching for a period mincemeat recipe some years back
with a notable lack of success.  I just went to a couple of sources and
found the following:

 From the Harleian Manuscript, #279, cited in  Lorna Sass'  "Christmas
Feasts":  She indicates that this is probably the predecessor of the
more modern mincemeat pie:

Take butys of Vele, & mynce  hem smal, or  Porke, & put on a potte; take
Wyne, & caste thereto pouder of Gyngere, Pepir, & Safroun & Salt, & a
lytle verthous [verjuice], & do hem in a cofyn [pie crust] with yolkys
of Eyroun [eggs], & kutte Datys & Roysonys of Couraunce [currants],
Cloyws, Maces, & then ceuere thin cofyn & lat it bake tyl it be y-now
[done].

There are three "minced pye" recipes in Kenelm Digby (1669), "My Lady of
Portland's Minced Pyes", "Another way of making excellent Minced Pyes of
my Lady Portlands" and "Minced Pyes", which is from Lady Lasson.  All
three of these contain citron, so I have not entered them here.  You
might want to check out a copy of the book and look at them for
yourself.  They all look very good.  And I suspect you could probably
omit the citron, though many would argue that it would no longer be a
period recipe....but we don't want to get into that argument at this
point.  These all are what we know as minced meat...containing most, if
not all, of the traditional ingredients.

Kiri